RECIPE: DAY AFTER SOUP
So you’ve stuffed your face relentlessly for days and you are feeling bloated, slightly ashamed of yourself, but strangely hungry. This Is The Cure!!!
A simple fresh soup that will right your wrongs and have you gearing up for the new year. It is based on a Mexican soup called Esquites but I have adapted so you can grab all the ingredients from your local supermarket.
Fresh, spicy and packed with garlic, herbs and sweetcorn. Everything you need to get over any Christmas indulgences that may have lingered a little longer than you anticipated.
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Yields: 6-8 Bowls
- Dietary: Vegan, Dairy, Egg, Gluten Free
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 Large onion (chopped finely)
- 2 Green chillis (chopped finely)
- 1 Handful of chopped coriander stalks
- 3 Sprigs of thyme (stripped)
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Head of garlic (peeled and finely) chopped
- 1 kg Bag of frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 1 large handful of chopped mint
- 1 litre Vegetable stock
- Juice of one lime
- Pepper and salt
- 100 g Tofu or Vegan Feta (cut into 5mm cubes)
- Cook all the herbs minus the mint with the onions and chilli over a low to medium heat for 10 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for another 10 minutes
- Add mint, sweetcorn, stock, lime juice, pepper and salt and simmer for 20 minutes
- Divide between bowls and top with tofu and fill your boots.
For more information and recipes, visit www.thealternativekitchen.net