Sumac chicken traybake
Easy to prep, this oven-roasted chicken dish is bursting with flavour
A traybake is a godsend when you need a meal that’s easy to assemble. It’s also a great way to combine some of the season’s best ingredients with storecupboard herbs and spices. With its tangy, citrusy flavour, sumac introduces a pleasingly sour punch to this dish, and using chicken thighs ensures added flavour.
SUMAC CHICKEN TRAYBAKE
2 tbsp olive oil
500g new potatoes, cut in half
2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
1 small onion, cut into wedges
2 large garlic cloves
8 chicken thighs, skin on
2 tbsp sumac
50g black olives
A handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Pour the olive oil into a large roasting tin. Add the potatoes, peppers, onion and garlic and toss until evenly coated in the oil. Season and spread out in a single layer.
- Place the chicken, skin-side up, on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle over half the sumac.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the rest of the sumac over the chicken. Add the olives and crumble over the feta.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- Scatter with parsley and serve with fresh bread to mop up the juices.