Toffee-apple bread and butter pudding
A new guise for the traditional Bonfire Night bauble, serve this pudding with a dollop of ice cream for a truly decadent autumn dessert
Whether you’re hosting a fright night for Halloween or throwing a fireworks party, this riff on the classic bread and butter pudding will go down a treat. Sharp Bramley apples are a perfect foil for the sweetness of the toffee, and it can be prepared in advance, allowing you to join in with the festivities. Follow the recipe to Step 6 then, 40 minutes before you’re ready for dessert, sprinkle with some sugar and spice and pop in the oven.
TOFFEE-APPLE BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
You will need a 2.5 litre ovenproof dish.
For the toffee apple:
3 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices 1.5cm thick
60g unsalted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar
For the pudding:
170g unsalted butter, softened
12 slices of thick white bread
6 large eggs
300ml double cream
100g caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp demerara sugar
80g toffee, chopped
Ice cream or cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the apples and cook for 30 seconds, or until lightly browned on one side. Turn them over and sprinkle with the sugar. Fry until lightly caramelised. Remove from the pan and set aside. (You may need to do this in two batches.)
3. Use a little of the butter to grease the ovenproof dish, and spread the rest onto the slices of bread.
4. Cut the bread into quarters and arrange half overlapping in the dish.
5. Scatter half of the caramelised apple over the bread, cover with the remaining bread slices and top with the rest of the apple.
6. In a large jug, whisk the eggs well and mix in the milk, cream and caster sugar. Pour this over the pudding and leave to stand for 15 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the custard.
7. Sprinkle over the cinnamon, demerara sugar and toffee pieces.
8. Place the pudding on a baking tray and bake at the top of the oven for 30-40 minutes until just set and golden brown.
9. Serve with cream or ice cream.