Welsh rarebit cheese straws
Guests coming over? These cheese straws are the perfect accompaniment to
It may be a drinks party staple, but the cheese straw is rarely the star of the show. But, with just a few extra ingredients, you can elevate this cheese-studded pastry wand to near stellar heights.
WELSH RAREBIT CHEESE STRAWS
Preparation and cooking time: 20 mins
320g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
150g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp English mustard
1 tbsp stout or ale
Flour, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Unroll the sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry and place on a lightly floured surface.
3. Combine the cheese, Worcestershire sauce, English mustard and stout or ale.
4. Spread the cheese mixture over the pastry, then fold in half.
5. Roll out until approx. 3mm thick, cut into 1cm strips, then twist each strip3-4 times.
6. Place on the prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
7. Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.